Friday, June 21, 2013

"How can I expect the Lord to help me when I don't help myself?"
 
This was a thought I had Tuesday morning when I realized that I had gone directly to preparing for the RS luncheon when I woke up, rather than to my normal routine of personal scripture study and prayer. 
 
I was beginning to feel behind schedule and was silently praying for help from above to accomplish what was needed that morning. Then that thought came to me -
"How can I expect the Lord to help me when I don't help myself?" 
I should have already had my spiritual feast for the day, but passed it up. I wasn't doing something bad, I just wasn't doing it in the proper order, with the proper personal preparation. 
 
I was trying hard to complete the task at hand and even thought for one quick moment that I was doing something good and then heading to the temple, so maybe I could skip it that day. Then it hit me - clear and to the point. This is a most perfect day for personal scripture and prayer - and nothing should ever take it's place; any day.  Not only that, but I really should prepare myself spiritually for a day at the temple. 
 
I stopped what I was doing and headed for my quite area for scripture and prayer. 
 
This morning I read Elder L. Tom Perry's message from 2013 April Conference titled Obedience to Law is Liberty, and find it to be perfect for this upcoming holiday, and to testify to the fact that personal scripture and prayer are a perfect beginning to every day ..., for every person.  It will help keep us on the right track.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment